Thursday, January 19, 2012

Death From Above, Web-footed Terror Flocks

It's that time of year when the evening northwestern Missouri sky is often filled with geese landing in large fields.  If you're from this region then you know the sight I'm talking about.  It's an occurrence where the geese actually form their own traffic pattern with large groups joining in the flow to land safely.  It's really impressive. The T-Park is across the street from an evidently appealing field for geese and there are sometimes literally hundreds if not thousands of them circling in for landings.


Such an evening arrival was going on when I got home last night after work.  As I pulled up I saw a couple of my neighbors standing in the driveway next door watching it all.  I parked, got out and walked over to them.  They were pretty absorbed in the spectacle and I watched along with them for a minute or so. 

Finally I said "It's pretty impressive, isn't it?"  
Neither looked at me but one of them answered, "It sure is."  
A few seconds later, he asked no one in particular "Do you think there's a dead animal over there to make 'em circle like that?"  
I froze.  
The other answered, "Man I sure HOPE it's dead already. Otherwise there's a shitload of hurt rainin' down on it."  
Zoologist #1 grunted in agreement saying, "Got that right.  Probably just a dead cow or sumthin'."


I have already committed too many social errors in interactions with my neighbors to point out to these gentlemen that geese are not carnivorous, let alone nocturnal pack hunters of livestock.  I don't actually know why geese congregate in the fields at night, but I'm almost certain it's not for dining on bovine.  

I might have let the slightest snort of a laugh escape after the first question, but was able to quickly pass it off as a throat clearing.  
I watched for a few more seconds then excused myself with the most sincere "It'll all be over by morning" that I could muster.  
I quietly slipped away to leave them sole witnesses to the only beef-featured goose feeding frenzy I've ever heard of.


I'm quickly approaching a point where idle chit-chat will be a total impossibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment