Saturday, March 10, 2012

Neighborly Favor Against Evil

I met another neighbor yesterday.  The mother of the bird-flipping Popsicle processor next door.  I had just got home from a week long trip and barely out of the car when she called me over to her yard to see something.  She had me look at her grass between our trailers.  After a bit she asked if I thought it looked happy or not.  I said I thought it seemed ok.
She said said "Well, it's not.  And it's because of that shed of yours.  Do you plan to do anything about it?".
Confused, I very sincerely answered "No."
She was visibly distraught and just shook her head.  She went on to explain to me that my shed was a den of evil and she asked my permission to exorcise it.  I granted her permission to do so.  Why not?
I really just wanted to get inside and do laundry from my trip so I turned and started to walk away.  This infuriated her and she snapped at me, "My worthless bastard husband used to turn his back on me!!  Don't you do that!  Are you a worthless bastard?!"
I stopped, sighed, turned and answered "Not anymore.  I have alot of laundry to do."
She continued, "I left HIS worthless ass wonderin' what for!  He lost hisself a double unicorn when me and Maudy lit out.  Now I turn MY back!  Just you look here at this!"  She turned around and pulled up her shirt.  There, tattooed over her right kidney, was a double headed crying unicorn trampling on a pile of fiery broken hearts.  It was sickeningly glorious to behold.
"This here represents mine and Lauvy's (yes, I swear it was a different name this time) freedom of that POS!!"
It seemed to me that it just represented about $150 that she could probably use right now but I didn't say so.  Instead I said "That's very nice.  I have one of my family crest on my arm."
She put her shirt back, spit at my feet and dismissed me to attend to my laundry.
I didn't see or hear any more of her last night.  At 6 this morning however, I was awakened by some dull thuds coming from the direction of my shed.  I tried to tell myself to just ignore it and go back to sleep unless I smelled smoke.  Curiosity got the best of me though and I went out on the porch to see what was going on.
It was with minimal surprise that I witnessed my neighbor and her daughter, clad in their Sunday best Snuggies, circling my shed, a dead squirrel held by the tail in each hand, sort of half-twirling every other step so that they smacked perfectly at waist level.  A bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 and a box of Popsicles laid nearby.
"Thank you" I said, and came back inside to make coffee.  They stopped after about 30 minutes.
I'm not sure if my shed is free of evil or not, but it is now banded by blood and fur at the two respective heights of the ritual participants.  I'm leaving it as proof that it can't possibly be MY shed making anymore grass unhappy.



1 comment: